super healthy muesli
A crunchy super healthy muesli which is carb and sugar free and still tastes good
- 500g flaked coconut
- 200g flax seeds
- 3 teaspoon s cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped pecan nuts
- 2 cups macadamia nuts
- 4 tablespoons hazelnut flour - if available, or make your own
- 375g cranberries - optional, otherwise any dried fruit of your choosing
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- Start with a large frying pan and dry fry the coconut to toast it and release the oils. Tip this out into a large bowl as you want to use the same pan to toast all the seeds and nuts.
- The flax seeds need to be ground up into a flour, which you can do in a blender. The same goes for the hazelnut flour. If you cannot find this simply grind up whole hazelnuts in the blender to a flour. The flavour of the hazelnut flour gives the muesli a wonderful flavour - nutella! These form the base of the muesli.
- Toasting the seeds and nuts gives them a good crunch and flavour.
- Dry fry all the pecan, macadamia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds in the pan. Once these are a little toasty add the flax, hazelnut and coconut to the pan and dry fry for a few minutes. Add the cinnamon to this and give a good stir.
- Add the cranberries once you have taken the mix off the heat.
- Store in a glass jar. Keeps up to 3 months.
- Hint: You can add any combination of nuts or seeds to this mix. I like the pecan and macadamia nuts, but there is no stopping you adding walnut and brazil etc...
Amanda In The Kitchen http://www.amandainthekitchen.com/