prawn toasts - gluten free
A crunchy toast topped with a prawn flavour burst!
- 100g raw prawns, peeled and deveined (just buy a bag of frozen already sorted prawns!)
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 slices gluten free bread
- ¼ teaspoon fresh chopped chilli or dried chilli flakes
- Vegetable or groundnut oil for deep-frying
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds for decorating the top
- Mince the prawns in a small blender with one of the egg whites and 1 tbsp of the cornflour. Add the sugar, chilli, salt and stir in the coriander. Mix the remaining egg white with the remaining cornflour. Remove the crusts from the bread and cut each slice into 8 triangles. Brush the top of each piece with the egg white and cornflour mixture, then add 1 tsp of the prawn mixture. Smooth the top and press it onto the bread. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and press these into the top, to make them stick.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a wok, deep-fat fryer or large heavy-based saucepan until it reaches 180-190°C, or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Fry the toasts prawn-side down for about 2 minutes. Turn and fry for a further 2 minutes until golden. Place on a piece of kitchen towel to drain and serve!
Amanda In The Kitchen http://www.amandainthekitchen.com/