creamy oats - breakfast in a jar
These oats are so creamy and nutritious tasting you could almost be fooled into thinking that they are bad for you!
- 2 cups gluten free or normal oats
- ½ cup of ground flax seeds - simply take flax seeds and grind them in a coffee grinder
- cinnamon - optional
- 2 teaspoon honey, xylitol or agave syrup - optional
- Fruit, nuts or flavouring of your choice
- 2 cups full cream milk, almond milk or coconut milk
- glass jars or containers with lids which can stand in the fridge
- Place ½ cup of the oats into each jar and add two tablespoons of the ground flax into the jars. Top this with ½ cup of the milk of your choice. I have tried cows milk, almond and coconut milk and they are all delicious. If you are going to add a sweetener then add ½ teaspoon into each jar and give a good stir. Seal the lids and place the jars into the fridge to soak overnight. The oats need about 6 hours to soak.
- The fruit and nuts are best added just before eating.
Some of our favourites are
- Chopped pear and melted 70% dark chocolate - my daughters absolute best. I leave out the sweetener as the pear and chocolate make it sweet enough.
- Berry blast - chopped strawberries, pomegranate seeds and blueberry coulis ( which is blueberries boiled until mushy and then blended and stored in a glass jar in the fridge)
- Apple pie - stewed apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon, a good accompaniment to this would be toasted almonds.
- Short of time then grab a banana, a jar of nut butter and your oats from the fridge. Chop the banana and a spoonful of the nut butter into the oats and you have a great breakfast on the go!
- The only thing you need here is time to prepare ahead.
- These jars keep in the fridge for a week so no excuses for no breakfast as you can make them on a Sunday evening!
- The prep is quick, but you do need at least 6 hours to get the oats lovely and creamy!
Amanda In The Kitchen http://www.amandainthekitchen.com/