amanda's minestrone soup
a delicious smoky soup packed with flavour and goodness
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 packet thick cut pork rashers chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 5 sticks of celery finely diced
- 2 large carrots finely diced
- 5 fresh tomatoes chopped
- bunch of fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tin cannellini beans
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- 500ml chicken stock - fresh
- 30ml oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- Use a large saucepan and fry the bacon rashers till cooked, don't worry about making them golden as they tend to burn and leave the bottom of the pot black. Just seal the meat and release the lovely smoky flavour into the oil. Remove from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside, and use the fat to fry the onion till soft. Add the diced celery and carrot to the pan and sauté.
- Add the tomatoes and allow it to bubble for a bit before adding the stock. Cook for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked. I then take little of the soup out and blend it, approximately a cup. I do this to add a fuller, creamier texture to the soup. I like it chunky but with a good base. I find if I don't do this the soup tend to be too watery. Blending pulls all the flavours together, but just do a little and add it back to pot.
- Add the beans and the parsley and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Season to taste, but be careful as I find the soup has a lot of flavour already and does not need too much salt.
Amanda In The Kitchen http://www.amandainthekitchen.com/