“Good food is wise medicine!”
Delicious oat crackers with a tasty dip or topped with something yummy!
Oat, chickpea and rosemary crackers
A healthy homemade cracker, perfect as a vessel for many delicious toppings. Dairy and wheat free.
- This recipe makes about 3 dozen crackers
- 2 cups of oat flour
- 2 cups of chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup of good quality olive oil
- ¼ cup of coconut oil for brushing the cracker before baking
- extra salt and freshly ground pepper for dusting
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients and give it a really good stir. Add the egg, olive oil and a ¼ cup water, using your hands mix this into a dough. Keep another ¼ cup of water spare and use it teaspoon at a time until the dough is nice a soft, not too dry and not sloppy.
- Tip the dough out onto a surface and roll it out about 2mm thick. I tend to this in two portions otherwise there is too much dough to manage. If the dough is a bit crumbly simply push it back together. Using a fluted pastry cutter, cut out circles and lay them on trays. Re-roll the scraps until you have used up all the dough.
- Cover the trays and put them in the fridge for about 30 minutes, to allow the dough to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Using a teaspoon, smear the top of each cracker with a little coconut oil, sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
- These crackers keep for a few weeks in an airtight container.
- Serve topped with hummus, avocado, cream cheese or any other delicious topping of your choice.
Amanda In The Kitchen http://www.amandainthekitchen.com/